Sunday, October 23, 2011

Napoleon Hill's "Self Confidence Formula"

One of the things that is making all the difference in the world to me these days is Napoleon Hill's "Self Confidence Formula", from the marvelous book with what, to many, is an offensive title, Think and Grow Rich. I wish my Sunday School class would let me teach it, because it's not just about monetary wealth. It is (thought I doubt Mr. Hill would say it this way) about being all God created you to be, doing all God created you to do, and not letting this world keep you from it.

The formula is in five parts, and I intend to devote my next five posts, one for each of the five parts. The fifth is pretty long and may be a multi-parter.

First, the formula, as I recite it. Part of the process is memorizing the formula and reciting it daily. In reciting it over and over, I have changed it a bit to fit my particular point of view.

Here it goes:

In the Name of Jesus:

First: I know that you have given me everything I need (ability, attitude, and opportunity) to achieve the object of my definite purpose in life; therefore I demand of myself persistent, continuous action toward its attainment; and I here and now promise to render such action.

Second: I realize the dominating thoughts of my mind will eventually reproduce themselves in outward and physical action, and gradually transform themselves into physical reality; therefore I will concentrate my thoughts for thirty minutes daily upon the task of thinking of the person I intend to become, thereby creating in my mind a clear mental picture.

Third: I know, through the principle of autosuggestion, any desire I persistently hold in my mind will eventually seek expression through some practical means of attaining the object back of it; therefore I will devote ten minutes daily to demanding of myself the development of self-confidence.

Fourth: I have clearly written down a description of my definite chief aim in life, and I will never stop trying until I shall have developed sufficient self-confidence for its attainment.

Fifth: I fully realize that no wealth or position can long endure, unless built upon truth and justice; therefore, I will engage in no transaction which does not benefit all it affects. I will succeed by attracting to myself the forces I wish to use, and the cooperation of other people. I will induce others to serve me because of my willingness to serve others. I will eliminate hatred, envy, jealousy, selfishness, and cynicism, by developing love for all humanity; because I know that a negative attitude toward others can never bring me success. I will cause others to believe in me, because I will believe in them, and in myself. I will sign my name to this formula, I will commit it to memory, and I will recite it aloud once a day with full faith that gradually it will affect my thoughts and actions, so that I will become a self-reliant and successful person.--Napoleaon Hill, Think and Grow Rich, 1937, p. 54f, with some rewording by me here and there.


The formula reminds me that God created me for a purpose, it encourages me when I haven't done my best toward that purpose, it encourages me to get up tomorrow and seek to do my best for that purpose tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.

More later.

No comments: